A new saddle is probably the biggest expense you will have after the purchase of your horse. One of the most common complaints we hear is that saddle fitters just want to sell you a new saddle and no-one will consider fitting saddles that you’ve used on a previous horse, that you’ve bought from a friend or picked up on EBay.
Our saddle fitting service is different – we offer sound honest advice and we’re happy to consider existing saddles – whether it’s one you already own, one you’ve bought or a saddle you’ve borrowed from a friend.
Our priority is to make sure your horse is comfortable and you’re safe when you’re riding. The first step is always to consider your existing saddle – this will be checked and will be re-fitted wherever possible.
If the saddle cannot be adjusted sufficiently to make it fit then we will explain what the issues are and offer you alternatives to consider. We’ll also tell you what fit and size of saddle you need so you’re free to go source your own if you prefer.
If you decide to buy a saddle from us and there is a waiting period we have a selection of excellent loan saddles. If we have a saddle that can be fitted to your horse we will loan this to you, free of charge, so that you can still ride whilst you wait for your new saddle to arrive.
We specialise in dealing with difficult horse shapes and remedial saddle balancing and adjustments. Not one horse or rider is the same so every saddle fitting is an individual process that takes time to bring the right combination together
The whole saddle fitting process can take up to 2 hours and includes:
- Establishing details about the rider and his/her saddle requirements.
- A full physical assessment of the horse including checking his/her movement. This will include a walk and trot up in hand and a flexion test. If your horse’s movement is impaired this will affect the fit of any saddle - if we can see that this during the physical assessment we may recommend you have your horse checked by a vet prior to the saddle fit.
- The horse's confirmation will also be checked to establish any anomalies - splints and other swellings or scars, whether the horse's feet are even and balanced, whether the horse's shoulders are equal, etc.
- Understanding the horse's current level of fitness and whether this is likely to change due to changes in work routine, etc.
- Discussing any issues you are experiencing when riding in your current saddle eg saddle slipping to one side.
- Examination of the saddle area on the horse's back to establish if there is any soreness, tension, etc.
- Measuring the horse's shape and preparing 3 templates showing the wither area, lumbar area and true drop.
- This template will then be checked against your existing saddle and if the template shows that the saddle tree fits your horse then adjustments using flocking will be made to get the optimum fit
- You will be asked to exercise your horse at a walk, trot and canter. If you intend to jump/event in your saddle you will be asked to jump a couple of jumps
- Wherever possible this exercise should be without the use of a numnah so that the impression of the saddle on the horse's hair can be checked afterwards for movement, uneven pressure, etc
We cover the following areas for saddle fittings and ongoing maintenance checks: South Wales including Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Swansea, Neath Port Talbot.
Our costs are:
- A saddle fitting appointment starts at £50 – this may vary depending on the area. Please ring for an accurate cost
- Ongoing maintenance visits to reflock/rebalance your saddle after the initial fitting also start at £50, depending on area